Re: Gorgonidium vermicidium

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Gorgonidium vermicidium
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@worldonline.nl>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 09:26:11 -0500 (CDT)

My guess: the name may be based on the type species G. mirabile, in which
the male flowers have free, long, multidirected filaments, creating a
mudusa-like picture of the male part of the spadix. Medusa was a Gorgon, and
you don't wanna meet with a Gorgon. The plant is from high altitude, Andean
parts of South America, notably Argentina, but also Bolivia, and who knows.
I guess Eduardo Goncalves will tell you.

Cheers,
Wilbert