Identifying Anthuriums and Pseudodrac.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Identifying Anthuriums and Pseudodrac.
  • From: Adam Black <paleoart@digital.net>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 23:44:19 -0500 (CDT)

I have recently aquired several types of "birdsnest" Anthuriums that
have no tags, and I am curious as to their identification. The few
sources I have tried (Tropicos, TAP gallery, Dewey's sale page, Exotica)
have not helped much. I see so many similarities between certain types
that leads me to wonder about the best way to ID the birdsnest
Anthuriums. If I were to email pictures of the plant and inflorescence
to anyone who would want to give it a shot, would it be possible to
identify it, keeping in mind they are not among the distinctive species,
they are A. hookerii-ish in appearance, but I am certain they are not
hookeriis. At least they appear to be different enough from two of my
plants labeled "hookerii" and hookerii 'Ruffles'.  Unless- being that I
have two types of hookerii, is there much regional variation among a
particular species of Anthurium? Or is there variation in morphology due
to environmental factors such as light availability, temperature,
variation in habitat, etc? One plant (actually looks like several plants
intertwined together) has many pendulous inflorescences. Does the fact
that the inflorescence is not erect narrow it down the possibilities
very much?

One clue about two of them, they were purchased over the weekend at
Selby Bot. Gardens plant shop, if anyone has been there recently and
noticed them. They were the only two types of birdsnests they had for
sale that I noticed. There are a few more of one type, I purchased the
only one of the other type. I don't have pictures just yet, but if
anyone wants to try and ID it, I will send them to whoever emails me
PRIVATELY when I get around to taking them.

I also finally have pictures of the inflorescence of my unidentified
species of Pseudodracontium that I will email to whoever wants to try to
ID the species. Again, email me PRIVATELY if you want to see it. And
finally, please excuse my ignorance in these subjects. I am eager to