Re: Identifying Anthuriums and Pseudodrac.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Identifying Anthuriums and Pseudodrac.
  • From: Neil Carroll <zzamia@hargray.com>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 09:37:41 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Black <paleoart@digital.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Monday, September 11, 2000 11:45 PM
Subject: Identifying Anthuriums and Pseudodrac.

>I have recently aquired several types of "birdsnest" Anthuriums that
>have no tags, and I am curious as to their identification. The few
>sources I have tried (Tropicos, TAP gallery, Dewey's sale page, Exotica)
>have not helped much. I see so many similarities between certain types
>that leads me to wonder about the best way to ID the birdsnest
>Anthuriums. If I were to email pictures of the plant and inflorescence
>to anyone who would want to give it a shot, would it be possible to
>identify it, keeping in mind they are not among the distinctive species,
>they are A. hookerii-ish in appearance, but I am certain they are not
>hookeriis. At least they appear to be different enough from two of my
>plants labeled "hookerii" and hookerii 'Ruffles'.  Unless- being that I
>have two types of hookerii, is there much regional variation among a
>particular species of Anthurium? Or is there variation in morphology due
>to environmental factors such as light availability, temperature,
>variation in habitat, etc? One plant (actually looks like several plants
>intertwined together) has many pendulous inflorescences. Does the fact
>that the inflorescence is not erect narrow it down the possibilities
>very much?
>One clue about two of them, they were purchased over the weekend at
>Selby Bot. Gardens plant shop, if anyone has been there recently and
>noticed them. They were the only two types of birdsnests they had for
>sale that I noticed. There are a few more of one type, I purchased the
>only one of the other type. I don't have pictures just yet, but if
>anyone wants to try and ID it, I will send them to whoever emails me
>PRIVATELY when I get around to taking them.
>I also finally have pictures of the inflorescence of my unidentified
>species of Pseudodracontium that I will email to whoever wants to try to
>ID the species. Again, email me PRIVATELY if you want to see it. And
>finally, please excuse my ignorance in these subjects. I am eager to

Adam, Try Croat's online version of his Revision of Section Pachyneurium
 birdsnest) Anthurium. There are links to it on the species page of TAP or
you can get to it through the Anthurium section of the IAS website.

BTW ...A. hookeri is not a pachyneurium......although at first glance it
certainly looks like one. A call to Selby might help also.