Re: Identifying Anthuriums and Pseudodrac.

Adam,
If you have a plant tagged as "Ruffles", it is Anthurium plowmanii.  I
introduced this plant to the commercial trade from seed obtained from Dr.
Birdsey years ago.  Subsequently, another, more ruffled clone was
discovered and this plant is now being put out by AgriStarts, T/C Lab.  You
can go to their site for a more positive ID.

Second, I might suggest that you contact Dr. Croat for a copy of his Book
"A Revision of Anthurium Section Pachyneurium".  It gives pictures...
(B&W), of most all of them.  I think the price is under $35.
Dewey

>I have recently aquired several types of "birdsnest" Anthuriums that
>have no tags, and I am curious as to their identification. The few
>sources I have tried (Tropicos, TAP gallery, Dewey's sale page, Exotica)
>have not helped much. I see so many similarities between certain types
>that leads me to wonder about the best way to ID the birdsnest
>Anthuriums. If I were to email pictures of the plant and inflorescence
>to anyone who would want to give it a shot, would it be possible to
>identify it, keeping in mind they are not among the distinctive species,
>they are A. hookerii-ish in appearance, but I am certain they are not
>hookeriis. At least they appear to be different enough from two of my
>plants labeled "hookerii" and hookerii 'Ruffles'.  Unless- being that I
>have two types of hookerii, is there much regional variation among a
>particular species of Anthurium? Or is there variation in morphology due
>to environmental factors such as light availability, temperature,
>variation in habitat, etc? One plant (actually looks like several plants
>intertwined together) has many pendulous inflorescences. Does the fact
>that the inflorescence is not erect narrow it down the possibilities
>very much?
>
>One clue about two of them, they were purchased over the weekend at
>Selby Bot. Gardens plant shop, if anyone has been there recently and
>noticed them. They were the only two types of birdsnests they had for
>sale that I noticed. There are a few more of one type, I purchased the
>only one of the other type. I don't have pictures just yet, but if
>anyone wants to try and ID it, I will send them to whoever emails me
>PRIVATELY when I get around to taking them.
>
>I also finally have pictures of the inflorescence of my unidentified
>species of Pseudodracontium that I will email to whoever wants to try to
>ID the species. Again, email me PRIVATELY if you want to see it. And
>finally, please excuse my ignorance in these subjects. I am eager to
>learn!
>
>Thanks!
>
>Adam

              Your source for Tropical Araceae.