footcandles; mesurement tool

I am tired of using the light meter in my camera to measure footcandles.  I
would like to buy a real footcandle meter.

Can anyone recommend a unit to me? As I will be shopping in the Miami area
while in town for the show, I thought some orchid supply businesses might
stock them.  But I have never read a review of footcandle meters and don't
know a good one from a bad one.  I would like to spend as little money as
possible, but buy one that would have the range from full sunlight to the
darkness of my basement.

jack in Oregon