Off topic: non aroid seeds (magnolia, hedychium)

  • Subject: Off topic: non aroid seeds (magnolia, hedychium)
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@arachne.uark.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 08:25:43 -0500 (CDT)

I'm going to have a bumper crop of Magnolia tripetala seeds this year, and
that's a problem. I still have seedlings in pots that I sowed 3 years ago,
I collected seed last year that's still in the refrigerator, and lots more
is coming along. I can send some to the exchanges, but magnolia seed isn't
known for tolerating dry storage well.

Anyone want some? Just let me know, I'll send it fresh. (I can't seem to
just let it fall - seed collecting has become a compulsion. I admit it.)

This is a native tree here (NW Arkansas, USA), quite hardy. In the woods,
it's usually an understory tree and gets leggy and fairly tall (rarely as
much as 15 m.). Ours is planted in full sun and is now about 5 m. after 10
years (and maybe 3 m. diameter). No problems of any kind, will appreciate
extra summer water by holding leaves longer and setting more seed, but we
do not water ours and it tolerates our dry summers just fine. Known
locally as "umbrella magnolia" for the long leaves (to 60-70 cm.) which
droop umbrella-like around the ends of the branches.

On another note, I tracked the incredible fragrance outside yesterday to
the Hedychium hasseltii, whose seed I offered a while back. This probably
means I'll have more soon. I know a couple of people got germination from
the last batch, but if anyone didn't, or others are interested, let me
know and I'll send it fresh this time.

Please reply privately, not to the list (it'll save me having to kill the