Sickly Aglaonema

  • Subject: Sickly Aglaonema
  • From: StellrJ@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 13:33:54 -0500 (CDT)

I am writing in regards to the Aglaonema belonging to my employer, which are in a sorry state -- nearly all the leaves dead.  Those in charge of these plants can not see what is wrong -- they only talk about how they have watered them -- so I examined the plants myself.  One has mealybugs, the other has strange white webs.  Tomorrow, I will advise the plants' owner of this condition, but I need some solutions to propose.  I know to tell them to cut off all the dead leaves and stems, but what else?  The plants live in a climate-controlled office, as do some so-far healthy Philodendron bipinnatifidum.  (Perhaps I shall ask for a division for myself; these Aglaonema are growing in what appear to be groups, with many stems per pot.)

Jason Hernandez
Naturalist-at-Large