Re: RE: Amorphophallus seed germination

  • Subject: Re: RE: Amorphophallus seed germination
  • From: magrysbo@shu.edu
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 21:47:12 -0500 (CDT)

Amorphs from habitats with seasonal fires? Many fire adapted species use
this mechanism.
BWM

mburack@mindspring.com@mobot.org on 09/11/2001 05:52:48 PM

Please respond to aroid-l@mobot.org

Sent by:  aroid-l@mobot.org

To:   Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
cc:

I started doing it a long time ago based on the so-called fact that some
seeds "need" or benefit by the chemical reaction of "burning" to cause seed
germination.

Companies sell things such as "smoke seed primer" which is nothing more
than a paper disk which is soaked and releases "chemicals" mimicing
burning.

It is my belief that if you burn a piece of paper and soak the ash in
water, you will accomplish the same "thing".

I have read that certain chemicals produced during burning act similar to
gibberilic acid, in that they dont actually "make a seed sprout", but more
correctly, interfere with the natural chemicals that "prevent" them from
sprouting.

Am I right??? Who knows.....?

Marc

aroid-l@mobot.org wrote:
> Burnt paper????
Susan

 mburack@mindspring.com [mailto:mburack@mindspring.com]
I guess I am lucky....they really are always about the same for me... I
soak
seeds (all) in a solution of GA3, superthrive and burnt paper.....(although
I am not sure if any of it is neces.)