Re: RE: Amorphophallus seed germination

  • Subject: Re: RE: Amorphophallus seed germination
  • From: mburack@mindspring.com
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 16:52:02 -0500 (CDT)

I started doing it a long time ago based on the so-called fact that some seeds "need" or benefit by the chemical reaction of "burning" to cause seed germination.

Companies sell things such as "smoke seed primer" which is nothing more than a paper disk which is soaked and releases "chemicals" mimicing burning.

It is my belief that if you burn a piece of paper and soak the ash in water, you will accomplish the same "thing".

I have read that certain chemicals produced during burning act similar to gibberilic acid, in that they dont actually "make a seed sprout", but more correctly, interfere with the natural chemicals that "prevent" them from sprouting.

Am I right??? Who knows.....?

aroid-l@mobot.org wrote:
> Burnt paper????

 mburack@mindspring.com [mailto:mburack@mindspring.com]
I guess I am lucky....they really are always about the same for me... I soak
seeds (all) in a solution of GA3, superthrive and burnt paper.....(although
I am not sure if any of it is neces.)