Re: A. konjac

  • Subject: Re: A. konjac
  • From: Carol Ann Bonner <cadastra@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 00:46:06 -0500 (CDT)

At 08:41 PM 9/13/01 -0500, Paul wrote: (about A. konjac)
 I live in Miami and have learned they won't grow here, due
>to needing a cold dormancy period.

Is that true?  I've been keeping all my Amorphs in pots wintered over in
warmish greenhouses, and a botanical-type friend told me this year that my
konjac was the biggest of that species he had ever seen.  Admittedly, it
hasn't bloomed the last couple of years.

Some of my Amorphs are starting to go dormant.  This is the first year I
haven't been able to harvest and distribute the extra tubers, and I don't
want to leave them in the pot lest they contribute to a bad case of konjac
suburban sprawl.  How do people store the bare tubers?  Is that okay, or is
it better to leave them in the pots and harvest them in the spring?

Carol Ann