Re: A. konjac

  • Subject: Re: A. konjac
  • From: Don Martinson <llmen@wi.rr.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:19:33 -0500 (CDT)

>At 08:41 PM 9/13/01 -0500, Paul wrote: (about A. konjac)
>  I live in Miami and have learned they won't grow here, due
>  >to needing a cold dormancy period.
>  How do people store the bare tubers?  Is that okay, or is
>it better to leave them in the pots and harvest them in the spring?
>Carol Ann

They certainly don't need what I would call cold.  I've stored mine
bare at room temp (70F/21C) as well as in 20 gallon pots of soil
stored in my basement at 59-55F  (10-13C).  They seem to do quite
well either way.  They bloom, if large enough (4 inch/10 cm
diameter), for me in March.  When the amorphophallus bloom, can
Spring be far behind?

Don Martinson
Milwaukee, Wisconsin