Re: Taccarum tubers!!

  • Subject: Re: Taccarum tubers!!
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:58:50 -0500 (CDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: StroWi <StroWi@t-online.de>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2001 4:22 PM

Julius Boos schrieb:
> Hi Friends,
> Just a short note on one of the aroid-related 'items' that never ceases to
>  enthuse me and lift my presently very sagging and sad spirits at this
>  of the year---- it is when my good friend Bobby who lives close by digs
>  the tubers of his BIG Taccarum weddellianum
> (They remind me of a big, flat 'kholrabi'  ( ? spelling)

you nearly made it ;)

>>It should be "Kohlrabi"

And it has nothing to do with our former chancellor Kohl...
Kohl is a general name for edible Brassicas like cabbage and relatives here

Dollbergen, Germany<<

Thanks, Bernhard,

I knew of the 'cabbage' connection---my Dad used to grow them in Trinidad,
and I still have a taste for them and buy them whenever I see them for sale
here in the USA!