Re: [aroid-l] Growing problems.

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Growing problems.
  • From: Paul Tyerman ptyerman@ozemail.com.au
  • Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 17:03:19 +1000

At 02:34  6/09/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>I have been having some problems with a few plants this summer.  I put in
>raised beds and planted my Amorphophallus tubers out.  My problem is some
>plants have "rotted" right at the top of the soil, causing the plant to tip
>over.  The odd thing is,  the rest of the plant and bulb looks fine.
>Foliage looks great.

Susan,

Has teh plant rotted, or has something munched around the stem at ground
level.  This is just a guess, but I've heard of various types of cutworms
(that is what i have heard them called) that tend to munch around the base
of a stem of a desireable plant, effectively killing off everything above
the soil.  Not knowing much on what specific insects do this (and of course
that could vary in your climate as well) I cannot suggest specific
culprits, but it might be worth investigating to see if there is evidence
of damage at the soil level, rather than it rotting from within.  If damage
happened like that, anythign below the soil surface would be left perfectly
healthy, just as you describe.

It might be worth investigating.  Hope this might give you a lead to work
from.

Cheers.

Paul Tyerman
mailto:ptyerman@ozemail.com.au

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Cyclamen, Crocus,
Cyrtanthus, Liliums, Hellebores, Aroids, Irises plus just about anything
else that doesn't move!!!!!