[aroid-l] smells (was: How does A. titanum do it?)

  • Subject: [aroid-l] smells (was: How does A. titanum do it?)
  • From: Piabinha@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 17:35:40 -0400

i can just hear lord p. groaning all the way from the lower-lands... but as someone who tasted durian without knowing beforehand when i was in indonesia, i can tell you: it does not smell as potent or bad as it's reputed to be.  i had ordered this iced, soupy drink with lots of fruit and beans from a street vendor.  she didn't tell me what was in it and as i was eating it, there was some pale fleshed stuff, that did smell a bit like garlicky fermented shrimp paste, pungent but not awful or unbearable, and certainly not like garbage, dung or dirty underwear.  i asked her what it was and she said durian.

later that week, my gamelan group was hiking in the highlands of java, and two of them decided to buy a fresh durian in the market.  they ate it there and i don't remember the smell being overpowering.

darn, now you'll got me thinking about that trip.  i miss mangis (mangosteen - Garcinia), my favorite fruit in the whole world!!!!!!!!!!!

and bernhard, btw, THANK YOU for the pics of your Am. titanum... LOL

tsuh yang CHEN in nyc