Re: [aroid-l] Remusatia vivipara

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Remusatia vivipara
  • From: "Balistrieri, Carlo" cbalistrieri@nybg.org
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:09:32 -0400

Tsuh Yang,

Although a tuberous aroid (with aerial shoots), Deni Bown's book Aroids,
indicates that they have been found growing in trees. Apparently the burred
bulbils catch on mammals and/or birds and are carried far and wide. I grew
it once upon a time and no longer have it. I would treat it like a tuberous
aroid, i.e. pot it up. Use a humusy soil, or epiphyte pot mix, and keep
moist but not soggy--you'll rot the tuber. I wouldn't give it full sun.
Bright shade is a kind of catch all category. Once you have the plant
producing it's bulbils, play with the epiphyte character.

Carlo

Carlo A. Balistrieri
Curator of the Rock Garden
The New York Botanical Garden