Re: [aroid-l] Remusatia vivipara

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Remusatia vivipara
  • From: Dan Levin levin@pixar.com
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:17:37 -0700

tsuh yang,

I must report my Remusatia vivipara plants never read the books
reporting that in nature the plants have epiphytic tendencies.
No doubt they do, but as with so many plants, Rem. vivipara are
quite adaptable to varying cultural conditions.  Certainly mine
don't climb out of the pots (or ground) as do Anthuria, e.g.

I'm currently growing 2 vivipara's: one in my GH, in a soil/ epiphyte
mix; and one simply plunked into the ground in poorly amended clay,
just outside the GH.  Even if they could or do grow as epiphytes, the
amount of water needed to develop and support those huge leaves
is not trivial.

RE: light conditions, mine are doing well in both dappled shade
(outside) as well as very bright/ indirect light (greenhouse).  Hence
in my experience, full sun is not requisite for growing/ blooming
these plants.

They appreciate/ demand goodly amounts of water and respond
very well to fertilization of all types.  I've had great results using a
high organic 4-3-3 (Endo-ROOTS, fine grade).

As a great man once said, "... grow as a Caladium."
I suspect you'll have happier plants.

 -Dan