Re: [aroid-l] Dracunculus seeding...

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Dracunculus seeding...
  • From: Paul Tyerman ptyerman@ozemail.com.au
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:52:28 +1000

>they made seeds I would have to plant them, since I have some kind of
>psychological disorder that prevents me from discarding viable aroids.
> CJ
>I know what you mean, I have a hard time discarding even the dead ones!
>Every year I plant a few dried up or dead tubers "just in case!"

Susan and CJ,

It is such a relief to learn this is not just ME with this afflication.  I
am gradually learning to overcome it though, as my garden is just plain
full and I can't fit that much more.  Goddess knows what I am going to do
with all my various seedlings once they are bigger and need repotting into
individual pots or planting into the ground.  I don't even want to THINK
about it.

A major victory this year has been the actual removal and putting into the
trash of a bunch of "mongrel" jonquils (I believe they were called "Straw"
and are definitely NOT my favourite <grin>)...... it was nice to finally be
able to do it.  Still, it will be a while before I have enough of any
aroids to start thinking about throwing any of THEM out, although the
Arisaema flavum ssp abbreviatum (which I'm told is what we predominantly
have as A. flavum here in Aus) are starting to look that way to me given
their miserable flowers and their ability to survive absolutely anything
and still multiply prolifically.  They are starting to worry me now!!  I
think with those I am still at the stage of saving all of them, but I don't
think it will be long before I have to find some method of disposal of
those as well.

Aaaah,  wouldn't it be nice if I had that problem with Arisaema sikokianum,
or A. ringens, or A. fargesii or ....... I think you get the drift.

At the moment I am watching the Arisaema seedlings from previous AEG seedex
all coming back above ground now, a bit bigger than last year.  Waiting to
see which are still prolific and which have reduced in numbers during
dormancy.  Also signs of the first shoots on some of the Amorphophallus and
adult Arisaemas...... while in the garden there are Dracunculus shooting
madly and Arums still flowering (A. orientale) and I keep checking other
species such as A. dioscoridis for buds...... spring is in full swing here
at the moment, but the Aroids are still only just realising it!!

Paul Tyerman

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Cyclamen, Crocus,
Cyrtanthus, Oxalis, Liliums, Hellebores, Aroids, Irises plus just about
anything else that doesn't move!!!!!