[aroid-l] Dear Botanists

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Dear Botanists
  • From: Ted.Held@hstna.com
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:14:45 -0400

Dear all the good botanists on the list,

Do all green parts of a plant contribute to photosynthesis? Even stems,
midribs, and petioles? This would make sense to me. Why go to all the
trouble to make green pigment, which I assume to be chlorophyll, if it's
not intended to make sugars and whatnot? Sorry to ask such an elementary
question, but the botany books only seem to talk about photosynthesis in
relation to leaf blades. Sometimes even exposed roots turn green if exposed
to light.