Re: [aroid-l] Dear Botanists

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Dear Botanists
  • From: "Derek Burch" derek@horticulturist.com
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:07:06 -0400

It is a pretty safe assumption that any tissue with chlorophyll has the
potential to contribute to photosynthesis. As you say, why wouldn't it.
Dredging the depths of my murky mind, I remember seeing a paper some
years ago in which researchers shaved the long spiky bits (awns) that
most barley develops as part of each flower in the inflorescence, and
found that the yield of the crop was reduced. I have never shaved a
barley inflorescence from that day on, and feel the better for it. Derek