Re: [Aroid-l] D. canariensis

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] D. canariensis
  • From: "Sean A. O'Hara" <sean@support.net>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 14:16:40 -0700

At 01:48 PM 8/29/2004, Dan Levin wrote:
I'd suggest you use the above as a starting point, then experiment on your own based on observation, etc. If Seán O'Hara's out there, perhaps he might offer some (more learned) advice as well (!).

Good luck,
 -Dan

Hi Dan -

I was surprised to hear your recommendation and experience with this species. My own plant is fully dormant at this point and I am wondering if I will start seeing it soon as other summer dormant aroids start to emerge. In my experience, D. canariensis is a winter grower, emerging in fall and producing a handsome crop of leaves and the flowering in spring just before going dormant again. The foliage can sulk a bit if the winter is a cold one. D. vulgaris grows in precisely the same manner for me. I find the foliage of the former to be very handsome - a lighter green and with narrower leaflets and no variegation (though the pale midrib is quite apparent). The flower is not as spectacular as D. vulgaris - far less full and not frilled or wavy, kind of like a simple, unadorned, Calla Lily. I've heard that it smells like melons, but I've never detected a noticeable scent.

Being that this species is from the Canaries, could it be that it could be easily grown in other cycles (as Dan's experience suggests)?

Regards,
Seán O.

h o r t u l u s   a p t u s     -    'a garden suited to its purpose'
Seán A. O'Hara   sean@support.net   www.hortulusaptus.com
1034A Virginia Street, Berkeley, California 94710-1853, U.S.A.