Re: [Aroid-l] Lasia spinosa seed germination

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Lasia spinosa seed germination
  • From: Adam Black <epiphyte1@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 00:43:30 -0400

Hi Julius,

You mention that it takes a long time for the fruits to ripen - It was in early April 2003 when I asked this list how to pollinate my Lasia inflorescences, and you were the one who replied back with instructions. I had actually long forgotten about them, but now, seventeen months later they are ripe, and yes, they do have very large seeds. Thanks for both helping me pollinate this plant, and for the info on germinating the resulting seeds. And thanks to everyone else that replied with info as well.

Thanks!

Adam

Julius Boos wrote:

>From: Adam Black <epiphyte1@earthlink.net> >Reply-To: Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com> >To: Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com> >Subject: [Aroid-l] Lasia spinosa seed germination >Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:36:19 -0400 >

Hello Adam,

Just place the ripe seeds (cleaned of their fruit covering) in wet sphagnum and stand back!    This aquatic bears large seeds, the fruit take an exceptional length of time to ripen, almost or a full year or more.    I have always seen them start to grow more or less erect for only 18" or so, then they always have begun to grow in a reclining or recumbrent form, spreading out of the pot along the ground.   There are MANY leaf-forms in the plant, the largest  (at about 6-8"!!!) is one from Ceylon w/ an entire leaf-blade that has elegant 'drip-tips'.   Nice aquatic species of aroid, but with unforgiving spines whose tips always break off in your hands, always wear leather gloves when working w/ this devil!

Hope this helps,

Julius>Hi All,