[Aroid-l] Need suggestions for patio aroids

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Need suggestions for patio aroids
  • From: kohrla <rozgold@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 14:23:18 -0700

Hi folks!

I am a very novice aroid grower, and I don't have a lot of space, so I do a
lot of growing in containers on a patio outside my apartment.  I would like
to expand my collection, but I have some challenging growing conditions.  I
live in Los Angeles, and my patio receives very strong direct morning sun.
Unfortunately, because of the position of surrounding apartment buildings, by
early afternoon, the patio is in almost completely in shade.  As a result, in
winter and much of spring, the patio doesn't get too many hours of light.
This has been a real problem in spring for me growing anything that requires
a lot of hours of light to get going.

So I'd love to find some aroids that meet the following growing criteria:
--can handle strong direct summer sun, but don't need lots of hours of sun in
the spring;
--are relatively compact - can be happy in 14" - 16" container, at the
--have interesting spathes or inflorescences; and
--are not high maintenance.

I don't mind if the plant gets a bit floppy - virtually everything I grow on
the patio needs more light that I can give it, but the plants do OK, even if
they aren't in optimal shape.  FYI, I've successfully grown hybrid tea roses
in containers on the patio, lots of herbs such as oregano and basil, and
nematanthus.  I'm in zone 9, and Sunset Magazine Zone 23.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

-Roz, in Southern California

Aroid-l mailing list