[Aroid-l] Seedlings Available

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Seedlings Available
  • From: "Darnowski, Douglas William" <ddarnows@ius.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 07:18:44 -0500

Hello. I am new to the listserv, a botanist from Indiana. I joined because I'm looking to get rid of some seedling Amorphophallus plants. The seed came from a plant I got from a friend in Hawaii who got a small tuber from a friend in Indonesia (I think, might have been somewhere near Indonesia). After about 3 years and when the tuber weighed a pound or two, it flowered--the spadix was maybe 18-24 inches high, fruit went from green to yellow to red. Leaves when on the flowering-sized plants before it flowered were maybe 30 inches high. Clearly from Amorphophallus, but I don't know the species. A list member, who suggested I join, and who I've swapped seed of this with said it looked like it might be A. bulbifer, or perhaps A. konjac or A. muelleri.

This is my only aroid--I grow and do research on carnivorous plants. If anyone would like to swap for a seedling with 3-4" tall leaves, please email me at ddarnows@ius.edu. Alternatively, I could sell them for $5 each plus postage.

Thanks,
Doug