[Aroid-l] Request: Amorphophallus plant material for research

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Request: Amorphophallus plant material for research
  • From: Douglas C Bertelsen <dbertelsen@mail.unomaha.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:22:08 -0500
Dear Aroiders,

     After lurking on aroid-l for the last year, I would like to offer my
knowledge of plants (as limited as it may be in areas) to the membership.
I have, either currently or in the past, had collections of aquatic plants
(including Cryptocoryne and Annubias species), carnivorous plants, and a
rather humble Amorphophallus collection.

     My current botanical interests have led me to pursue a Master's in
Biology with a specialization in plant physiology at the University of
Nebraska at Omaha.  My research goals are to develop a suitable
micropropagation protocol for at least one member of the genus
Amorphophallus and to test genetic stability of regenerated plants through
use of Rapid Amplification of Polymorphic DNA (RAPD).  Tests may also be
carried out on species for which an established protocol exists.

     Presently, I am looking for plant material suitable for this research.
While A. konjac, A. paeoniifolius and A. titanum have protocols
established, I am unable to locate information as to whether they were ever
tested for genomic stability beyond a visual examination.  This being said,
I would be highly appreciative of live material of any Amorphophallus
species, whether loan, donation or otherwise to my research.  If you have
any such material or know of a source, please feel free to contact me for
further details.  Plants remaining after the research will become part of
the Universityâs greenhouse collection.

Douglas Bertelsen

Allwine Hall 419C
Biology Department