Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus - dormancy temperatures

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus - dormancy temperatures
  • From: Ronmchatton@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:25:58 EDT

I would not put any of these in a fridge.  You have two very different groups of species here.  The first are the tropical ones like hewittii, lambii, and titanum that have poorly defined, rather short dormant periods.  These species should not be exposed to temperatures below about 15C for long periods and 5-10C for short periods.  The others, with more well-defined dormant periods, especially the ones that can be stored out of the soil when resting, can be stored even in sunlight, sitting in empty pots.  Amorphophallus konjac will survive storage at about 8C for at least 30-45 days however the incidence of rotting increases with the storage time.  I've stored numerous species in empty pots on the greenhouse bench with no protection from light and with day/night temperatures of 30C/15C.  The initiate growth in the spring like clockwork and, as far as I can tell, at the same time as they did stored under cooler basement conditions.  My vote would be the basement.
Ron McHatton
Aroid-l mailing list