[Aroid-l] Colocasias

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Colocasias
  • From: Brian Williams pugturd@alltel.net
  • Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 16:02:59 -0400

I have been interested in breeding and growing Colocasias over the last few years. I am not even sure how many species are in this group and I have found little to no information on some species. I would be extremely interested in seeing a photo of them or even a description.
One question I would like to know is, are all species able to produce seed? I have found very few known seeding forms of colocasia. In my alocasia hybrids I have produced I notice that most are sterile and rarely produce pollen. I find similar traits in some colocasia forms I grow making me wonder if they are possible hybrids?
I have taken pictures of berries on colocasia species as well as seed which I have found very hard to find photos of either. I will hopefully have something good written up soon for a aroid newsletter article or aroideana.