RE: [Aroid-l] A. paeonifolius HELP!!

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] A. paeonifolius HELP!!
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 09:40:54 +0000

From : 	Kirk Martin <kwmartin@earthlink.net>
Sent : Monday, September 11, 2006 1:29 AM
To : aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Subject : [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus paeonifolius HELP!!

Dear Kirk,

After reading your entire post, it seems like your prized plant is recovering nicely, as a new leaf is being produced, etc., so I GUESS the best thing to do is to protect it from further animal attacks, water only in moderation so as NOT to promote any rot, and just watch it grow! The damaged leaf detaching and the small white 'worms' ( I don`t believe these were nematodes) seem like 'natural' occurences in this plants cycle.

The Best,

I have a decent sized A. paeonifolius that I've grown all summer outdoors on my
pool deck.
It had a single leaf about 2.5 to 3 feet tall which was starting to form another
leaf off the tuber.

A skunk/raccoon? uprooted the bulb and damaged a leaf stalk where it attaches to
the bulb.
I noticed some brown mush on the stalk near some white powdery fungus a few days

When I pulled on the leaf, it detached from the bulb and I noticed some small
white worms
Anyway, I cleaned of the rotted tissue as best I could and doused it with liquid
sulfur 6.4% sulfur from Safer.

The new leaf is happily getting bigger and so far no further sign of rot and
haven't seen any more worms.

Should I cut off the new leaf too and soak the bulb in some nasty

Any advice is appreciated.

Kirk Martin
Fitchburg, Mass.
Aroid-l mailing list