Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus paeonifolius HELP!!

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus paeonifolius HELP!!
  • From: Ronmchatton@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 09:35:09 EDT

Dear Kirk:

I don't think I would at this time.  You've probably handled it correctly at this point.  Nematodes are semi-aquatic flat worms and most of them are extremely small.  You typically see only the physical damage they create rather than the worms themselves.  In addition, Am. paeoniifolius is remarkably resistant to nematode infections.  It will grow like a weed in our nematode infested sand right along side Liriope that is obviously infected and still show no signs of infection.  What you found were most likely the larvae of one of any number of insects that feed on decaying vegetation.

Did you happen to notice if the decayed portion had a very bad odor.  If the problem is bacterial rot, fungicides will have no effect and it will rapidly spread through the corm.  The typical bacterial infections have a really bad odor (for instance, Erwinia infection smells rather like decaying fish).  As a precaution against further damage to the corm, you can drench the potting medium with Subdue which is good for root rotting problems, dithiophanate methyl (found under a plethora of trade names and the easiest thing to do is read labels of active ingredients.....dithiophanate ethyl is another in the same family) or Daconil and observe the spot for further decay.

Ron McHatton
Central Florida
Zone 9B