Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus in full sun ?

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus in full sun ?
  • From: "Allan Tetzlaff" atetzlaff@rogers.com
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 05:47:25 -0400

Susan.... yes, mites overwinter here.  A lot of ornamental trees - Golden Chain Trees, Pussy Willow - are notorius for being overrun by mites in August when it normally gets hot and dry.  I'm not sure in other countries about products, but here in Canada, I use AVID which it great.  It also requires a licence though.  I've grown orchids for years and mite control is essential.  The Amorphophallus don't seem to mind chemical sprays.  I always spray in the evening so the sunlight is weaker.  Here, I always grow my Amorphs in pots as opposed to the ground.  And I use fresh commercial potting mixes, so I don't have the nematode problems that other's mention (at least not so far).