[Aroid-l] P. hastatum is P. domesticum??

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] P. hastatum is P. domesticum??
  • From: "Steve Lucas Exotic Rainforest" steve@exoticrainforest.com
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 16:14:48 -0500

I'm sure many of you are familiar with the popular garden site Dave's Garden.  I sent them an email several weeks ago with the information from Dr. Croat which appeared on this discussion site some months ago that "P. glaucophyllum" was not a correct name according to Dr. Croat.  You may recall some time ago he and I had a conversation about "Philodendron glaucophyllum" that led over onto the Aroid L site where some folks seemed to want to disagree about the plant name despite what Dr. Croat had said.  At the time he told me in a personal email "P. glaucophyllum" was a "made-up" name and the correct name was Philodendron hastatum.  Now Dave's Garden has chosen to lump both P. hastatum and "glaucophyllum" as synonyms of P. domesticum.  I don't recall him saying P. hastatum was a synonym of anything.  Here's their link with the claims.  http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/93124/index.html   I told them again Dr. Croat had explained in an email P. hastatum was the correct species name and they sent back and said they were confident all were the same plant.  Don't look like the same plant to me!  Can anyone comment on this?
Steve Lucas
Spade-leaf Philodendron
Philodendron domesticum
Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Philodendron (fil-oh-DEN-dron) (Info)
Species: domesticum (doh-MESS-tik-um) (Info)

Synonym:Philodendron hastatum

Synonym:Philodendron glaucophyllum

Aroid-l mailing list