RE: [SUSPECT EMAIL] [Aroid-l] P. hastatum is P. domesticum??

  • Subject: RE: [SUSPECT EMAIL] [Aroid-l] P. hastatum is P. domesticum??
  • From: "Tom Croat" Thomas.Croat@mobot.org
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 19:51:34 -0500

Steve:

            I am not familiar with what Bunting was calling Philodendron elongatum (and commonly referred to as P. hastatum in horticulture) but P. elongatum was described in 1966 many years after Engler described P. hastatum so P. hastatum can not be a synonym of P. domesticum. Admittedly the illustrations in his paper and those he cited from Exotica III (namely those on p. 115, 203 and 204, but especially those showing the leaves, look very much like P. hastatum.  Bunting’s main distinction was that P. hastatum has 6–8 ovules per locule whereas P. domesticum has only 1–2 ovules per locule.  It would appear to be a strong character but, as I said, I don’t really know P. domesticum at all.

Tom