Re: [Aroid-l] GA3 treatments on aroids

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] GA3 treatments on aroids
  • From: ted.held@us.henkel.com
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 09:18:16 -0400

I have experimented with GA3 on aroids of the genus Cryptocoryne. I was successful in getting blooms from reluctant plants. But I later found that the blooms were wildly distorted by the treatment. Rather than a sturdy little spadix with a spiral hood, I got a thin, almost transparent gizmo with a shepherd's crook as a hood. I later got a "natural" flower from the same clone and it was conventional. In addition, GA3 tended to induce weak, spindly growth in leaves that emerged after treatment.

I only mention this because if one is inducing blooming for ID purposes you might end up with a flower that is not helpful. I have details on the formulation of the treatment solution I used in case anyone is interested. GA3 is also pretty expensive if ordered as the pure chemical. As I remember it was about $30US for 0.1 gram. Of course, 0.1 gram makes up quite a bit of final solution. But you still have to fork over the thirty bucks. Does anyone offer a commercial, formulated GA3 treatment solution? If so, is the concentration of GA3 in the product listed on the label? I found references that indicated a wide range of treatment concentrations. For my work I picked out a sort of average number.

Ted.