Re: [Aroid-l] Exact locations of plants

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Exact locations of plants
  • From: a san juan kalim1998@yahoo.com
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 12:44:46 -0700 (PDT)

Forgot URL:
http://www.blueboard.com/nfu/survey_rio_grande_texas.htm

a san juan <kalim1998@yahoo.com> wrote:
I am currently testing this software for a friend (it is in testing phase):

http://www.rimlife.com/products/dustynotes/

It allows one to record plant data on mobile devices, then either:

1. upload data to google maps (so people can view where you collected and what)

2. email the data toy yourself or others as CSV or other file format.

3. Export data as KML files so you can view your data using Google Earth.

In this study i did i exported data as KML files then used Google Earth to view samples.

Brian Williams <pugturd@alltel.net> wrote:
I thought many of the botanist and others might be interested in this. I
am not sure if this is something already in use? I have not seen
anything on it personally being used in plant research. A few friends of
mine play a game over the internet. It is basically a scavenger hunt
using global positioning systems. This handheld device can get a person
with in feet to were the treasure is hidden. I was fairly amazed by this
and was wondering if anyone was recording plant positioning when
collecting? The devices usually run from 150.00 dollars and up. My
friends use fairly cheep ones and they tend to work well. Another thing
they use is a very interesting map called google Earth. This is a map
made up of satellite photos of the earth you can put in your Global
positioning systems cordenance and it will show you a picture of the
area with in a few feet in some cases you can see the cars and people in
the photos. I would think both of these could be extremely useful to
someone collecting plants and it would be interesting to add in the
cordenance of a plant and get a image of exactly were it grows. So is
anyone using this in the field?

Here are some links to google earth and GPS devices.

http://earth.google.com/

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp;jsessionid=2F4YDDWTDD0HCCWQNWSCCNIK0BW0KIWE?QueryText=gps&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=gps&noImage=0&rid=0180101070502&cmCat=perf&cm_ven=performics&cm_cat=yahoo_nonbrand&cm_pla=boat_fishfindersgps&cm_ite=gps%20devices&OVMTC=standard&OVKEY=gps%20device&OVRAW=gps%20devices&_requestid=6429