[Aroid-l] Another Thing About Bioluminescence

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Another Thing About Bioluminescence
  • From: ted.held@us.henkel.com
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 08:10:29 -0400

One other thing that should be understood is that even the brightest bioluminescent organism is pretty dim compared with the sun or a 25 watt bulb. Fireflies look bright against a dark summer sky. But in the daylight you can't even tell if they're glowing. The same applies to those cool deep-sea fish and, I suspect, luminous plants. Luminous plants would lose some crowd appeal if you had to view them in pitch black and wait for your eyes to accustom themselves before you could even see their faint glow. Tell me if I'm wrong about this.

Ted.