Re: [Aroid-l] Gonatopus species-Nope!

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Gonatopus species-Nope!
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:00:49 +0000

From : 	Ken Mosher <ken@spatulacity.com>
Sent : Wednesday, September 27, 2006 4:35 PM
To : Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : Re: [Aroid-l] Gonatopus species-solved

Dear Ken,

Loiter I did, but will do more of it next year if God spares life!
Now I have to re-think my ID which was just based on the report that it was an all-green Gonotopus.
You say that it has these three large, rounded areas on the three joints near to where the three veins of the leaf meet. This sounds to me like the seller made a misidentification of a plant, perhaps THINKING it was the all-green form of G. bovinii, but IF your plant does NOT have the very obvious
'knee'' about 2/3 the way up the petiole, it sounds to me at this point, and without seeing an actual photograph, that you may have bought an Amorphophallus simoneanum. I did see some of these at the show. These three swollen areas that you describe are actually a form of bulbil, and all three will fall out of the dried leaf and grow as new plants.

Good Luck,

Sorry Julius, if I'd seen you loitering about I'd have asked you! You really must do more loitering in the future.
It certainly is a different looking plant even aside from the solid green color. At the place where the petiole divides into three, the three joints are very large and rounded. But if His P'ness (don't say that too fast) says they're both G. boivinii then it must be so...