Re: [Aroid-l] Cyrtosperma/Hawaiian Abor.?

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Cyrtosperma/Hawaiian Abor.?
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 12:37:49 +0000

From : 	Brian Williams <pugturd@alltel.net>
Sent : Saturday, September 30, 2006 6:17 AM
To : Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : Re: [Aroid-l] Cyrtosperma merkusii--the story

Dear Friends,

Thanks, Brian, nice photo!!
While we are on this subject, perhaps someone out there may be able to provide us w/ some information on a couple of subjects.
A good friend has told me that several years ago, while visiting Hawaii, he recalls visiting (he thinks) 'Lyonn Arborium' (name/spelling?) and that they had a collection of, amongst other plants, several clones of the edible Cyrtosperma merkusii from all over the Pacific/Micronesian region, also different clones of Breadfruit trees, Colocasia esculenta (taro), etc.. They were getting these collections of genetic material together because many of them were rapidly declining on their native Islands. As the availability of 'modern'/canned/dried foodstuffs became more common, even on the most previously inacessable islands, native people were no longer bothering to cultivate some of there rarer plants/foods.
Surely the IAS has some members or at least 'lurkers' "out there" either on the Hawaiian Islands themselves, or members here in the USA, who read this list and who can offer us information on these collections in Hawaii, or perhaps even on other Pacific Islands such as Fiji, etc.???
Off topic, does anyone know if there are folks here in the USA who have plants of native Hawaiian Hibiscus genera/species in cultivation??
Good Growing,

Julius

Here is a link of what maybe Merkusii but it is listed as chamissonls I am not sure if this is another large species in the group in most cases I have seen it usually is Merkusii. I did have a great link to island page with a young woman in front of a huge patch of Merkusii that were around 20 feet tall. Huge plants with massive leaves. It seems this site is no longer up. This was the closest I have seen to it.
http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty/carr/images/cyr_cha_hab.jpg