[Aroid-l] Xanthosoma brasilense (Desf.) Engl.

Sent : 	Wednesday, September 5, 2007 1:39 PM
To : 	Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	Re: [Aroid-l] Aroid recipes/edibility

Dear George, John, and other 'aroid eaters',

Thanks George, this is probably the plant that John is asking about!
BUT---I am still unsure if the illustration/photo of the Xanthosoma on the
site you so kindly located and posted is in fact X. brasilense.   I refer
you to my article in Aroideana Vol. 16, 1993.   In it I record X. brasilense
as new to Trinidad.   The leaves of the plants on Trinidad are very
hastate/trilobed, not strongly sagittate as in the plants in the
photo/illustration on the page/site which George kindly supplied.
So---we shall continue to try for the identity of the Xanthosoma used as
spinach in the Guianas!

The Best and Good Growing,

Julius

>>Hello everyone,
Could it be the Tanier Spinach? Here is a link for reference:
http://www.tropilab.com/tanierspinach.html

I tried ordering once and, unlucky for me, the tuber/rhizome just
rotted after I planted it.

One time when I learned that an acquaintance once stay in Surinam, I
asked about it and was told that it tasted quite good.

George Yao
Metro-Manila