[Aroid-l] Determining Amorphophallus storage needs

I have noticed one similarity in determining a tuber's need to be
stored in soil or dry.  I have noticed that the tubers that need
storage in soil are predominantly the ones that grow their roots from
the top of the tuber.

Is this a correct observation and can I apply this rule of thumb to
all Amorph's?

Are there exceptions that I am currently unaware of?

I have also noticed that all of the ones that I can store dry seem to
have a smooth skin that seem to be shiny\waxy in appearance.

I have also weighed my tubers to see if they have been losing weight
due to dessication.

When a new species is discovered, How are it's needs determined?