Re: [Aroid-l] Aroideana

Hi Russ,

As always your editor welcomes suggestions for the makeup of Aroideana, which we all recognize to be one of the few tangible benefits of membership (not to downplay the enormous satisfaction from the ‘intangibles’ that boost interest in the family), but he journal can only include the material submitted to it and endorsed by the reviewers. I am very pleased by what is coming in, but recognize that there may be many members who would like other topics to be included.

From my viewpoint the whole aglaonema situation has degenerated into industry hype of the tacky multi-colour hybrids coming out of Asia, which make a splash in a trade show and then fade as their unsuitability for general growing and lack of interest by most aroiders becomes apparent.

Prove me wrong on this, if you will. Let me know who to chase for a serious article and I will try to oblige.

As ever, Derek

-----Original Message-----
From: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com] On Behalf Of Bluesea
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 12:04 PM
To: Discussion of aroids
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Aroideana

Philodendron and anthurium were largely treated decades ago in Aroideana.  I have been highly disappointed at the over-emphasis of amorphophallus and other tuberous aroids in the most recent decades, so much so that I occasionally consider canceling my membership and subscription.  Sadly, aglaonema, syngonium, raphidophora, epipremnum and other genera are only occasionally mentioned these days.  I guess I'm old school, I find the tuberous aroids boring and only slightly interesting.  I have no clue why they have taken Society members by storm.

central Fla

jlgate wrote:

Dear Aroiders,

I received yesterday the latest issue of Aroideana.It is always the same pleasure each time.If in the past Philo,Anthurium were largely treated ,but now ,Arum and others mediterranean genus are not missed and the article of Kerim Alpinar is especialy interesting!

I find it more intersting than 90' issues;Thanks to all  writers contributors for their useful work!

I take this opportunity to inform aroiders who received from me in 2004 Amorphophallus sp. from Malawi bulbs that I can confirm the species : Amorphophallus impressus.

One larger tuber has flowering in june and revelated his identity.

A second species I collected in north Zambia also has flowering too for the first time :A.mossambicensis.

Those african species are not so hard to grow and corm storage is easier than  Asian species.

for the rest,we get the worst weather I ever experienced for a growing season: Lot of rains,few sun,low T° and no summer conditions...totaly crazy!

Without any doubt,I prefer dry and hot summer we had previously!

Best regards,

Jean-luc , France

www.jubii.fr c'est une seule interface pour communiquer. Email, téléphone gratuit, messagerie instantanée, 10 Go d'espace de stockage. Avec www.jubii.fr simplifiez-vous la vie !

Aroid-L mailing list