Re: [Aroid-l] Aroideana

Hiyer,

As regards the Aglaonema problem, there is no reason why an article cannot be submitted describing what is known, and then detailing all the unknowns and future research needs.

Another great topic in my mind, would be to present a catalog of the Aroids in a given major collection. For example: Some one could write up a catalog in phylogenetic order (according to TAG) of all the aroid species in the living collections at the Fairchild Botanical Gardens, or maybe a university collection. The purpose of this would be alert researchers where certain plants may be found for pollen, seed, genetic, or morphological studies. Similarly, people looking to increase the genetic diversity of their collection may swap pollen, seeds or tubers. This could promote conservation efforts for certain taxa. It might help people who are trying to identify a plant they have, if they can find it in another collection and compare.

I have around 30 genera and about 90 species, but I do not think my little collection is worth an article. But my local university has close to 100 genera with around 200 species.  And I know there are important private collections that that are even larger, that may have important species.

The same sort of catalog can be done for herbarium collections.

Just my two cents worth.

Christopher

D. Christopher Rogers

Invertebrate Ecologist/Taxonomist

((,///////////=====<

EcoAnalysts, Inc.

(530) 406-1178

707 Dead Cat Alley

Suite 201

Woodland, CA 95695 USA

Invertebrate Taxonomy

● Invertebrate Ecological Studies

● Bioassessment and Study Design

● Endangered Invertebrate Species

● Invasive Invertebrate Species

● Periphyton/ Phytoplankton

● Zooplankton

Moscow, ID ● Bozeman, MT ● Woodland, CA ● Joplin, MO ● Selinsgrove, PA

www.ecoanalysts.com