Re: [Aroid-l] Helicodicerous question

Hello Leo!

Helicodiceros likes a cool wet (but well drained) winter as prelude to
emerging. What I would suggest is that you store the dormant tubers in your
fridge. Phoenix just does not get cold enough for them. When the plants go
dormant, I would move them to the air-conditioned confines of your home for
a month. Then, dig up the tubers, wash them, remove any rot spots, let them
air dry, dust them well with cinnamon (especially where there was any rot),
wrap them in damp (well wrung out) long fibered sphagnum moss, and put them
in the refrigerator for a month or two, or until you see new growth. Then
plant them, again in the confines of your air-conditioned abode for a month
or so, gradually moving them back out side.

In the wild and here in northern California, they need about 6 to 8 hours of
full sun. But with the intensity of the sun in your neck of the woods, I
would use bright, reflected light or 60% shade cloth.

I hope this helps.

Happy days,
Christopher

D. Christopher Rogers
Invertebrate Ecologist/Taxonomist
((,///////////=====<

EcoAnalysts, Inc.
(530) 406-1178
707 Dead Cat Alley
Suite 201
Woodland, CA 95695 USA

? Invertebrate Taxonomy
? Invertebrate Ecological Studies
? Bioassessment and Study Design
? Endangered Invertebrate Species
? Invasive Invertebrate Species
? Periphyton/ Phytoplankton
? Zooplankton

Moscow, ID ? Bozeman, MT ? Woodland, CA ? Joplin, MO ? Selinsgrove, PA
www.ecoanalysts.com