Re: Philodendron martianum (which many of us know as Philodendron cannifolium)

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron martianum (which many of us know as Philodendron cannifolium)
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 10:50:15 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Steve,

Aloha.

Since this is on the forum, I think it is important to emphasize the citation of the various author histories associated with these names.  Since you posted the Kew Monocot Checklist link, I will not repeat them.
Philodendron cannifolium (Dryand. ex. Sims) Sweet, is Spathiphyllum cannifolium.  The other Philodendron cannifolium citations are nomen illegitinum or illegitimate names.  The Flora Braziliensis written by von Martius, has a wonderful lithograph illustration of Philodendron martianum...but it is labeled in this classic as Philodendron cannifolium.

Aloha,

Leland