Re: ID

Dear John,

I haven't seen Harry's Anthurium, so I cannot say for sure.  Where was it collected?  Anthurium cordatum is restricted, so far as I know, to the Virgin Islands, both U.S. and British.  As you go down the Antillean chain from Antigua southward, you run into A. grandifolium.  At somewhat higher, cooler elevations, there is A. guildingii.  There is a smaller plant from Guadeloupe, called A. isertianum, which has very similar venation to A. guildingii, but the leaves are much smaller and matte but not glaucous on the reverse.  Tom Croat has mentioned A. howardii from Dominica and A. gravesonii from St. Lucia, but I have never been able to get locality data from him.  I would very much have liked to collect and grow and distribute these.  At one time, years ago, I was collaborating with him on a paper treating the West Indian cordate-leaved Anthuriums.  I thouight we had reached a pretty good understanding of the matter, but to the best of my knowledge, the
 paper has never been published and the project has quietly died.

By the way, are you familiar with a vining Anthurium from the eastern Caribbean, with pedate leaves, called, appropriately enough, Anthurium pedatum?  I vaguely recall seeing it in your nursery years ago.

All the best, my friend.

Conrad