Re: Psuedodracontium , horizontal planting ?

  • Subject: Re: Psuedodracontium , horizontal planting ?
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 03:32:44 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Michael,

Aloha.

I remember planting the long tap-rooted, monotypic genus, Welwitschia mirabilis in recycled terracotta drain pipes.  There are all sizes of these and you can rebar and concrete a base with drainage on one end.  The bell joint makes for a finished lip of sorts.  I do not know how long a Psuedodracontium tuber can get...but these drain pipes can be quite long depending on the diameter. Since the ones I had were used...they were free.  They can be cut with a diamond blade in a circular saw and drilled with carbide bits.  If you are really creative, you can cover the outside with terrazzo with an acrylic binder...but that is a long, hard process...and can be beautiful or terrible depending on one's talent.  The terracotta by itself has a simple charm...but that is a subjective opinion.

Aloha,

Leland