Re: ID needed

  • Subject: Re: ID needed
  • From: "Christopher Rogers" <crogers@ecoanalysts.com>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 05:06:17 -0700

Looks like Alocasia gageana by what I can see of the inflorescences. I have attached pictures of one of my specimens for comparison. This species is a good temperate Alocasia, and grows well out doors where the temperature does not drop below freezing very often (morning frosts one or two months a year).

Here we can have the temperature drop below freezing for a week or two at a time, and my plants just go dormant, lose most of their leaves, and look lousy until late spring. They seem to prefer bright shade with either morning or evening direct sun, and a fair amount of humidity during the growing season. Outdoors I have grown them to two meters in height with leaves around a meter in length. In my greenhouse the growth is far more rapid, with the leaves a bit larger.

This plant is easily confused with A. macrorhiza (in our area macrorhiza rarely gets more than two meters in height unless in a greenhouse) , which has a yellow spathe that  reflexes away from the spadix, and A. odora, which has an erect yellow spathe, as opposed to the green spathe on gageana.

Happy days,

D. Christopher Rogers

EcoAnalysts, Inc.

1.530. 383.4798 (cell)

1307 "L" Street

Davis, CA 95616

ŸInvertebrate Taxonomy

ŸEndangered Species

ŸEcological Studies

ŸInvasive Species

Moscow, Idaho Ÿ Bozeman, Montana Ÿ Davis, California Ÿ Joplin, Missouri

Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania