Re: Psuedodracontium , horizontal planting ?

  • Subject: Re: Psuedodracontium , horizontal planting ?
  • From: ronmchatton@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 08:31:39 -0400

Michael:

I grow all the long-cormed Amorphs in sections of PVC pipe cut to the
appropriate length.  They sell flat caps that insert into the pipe (not
the permanent cap pieces that are white and fit over the end of the
pipe).  I drill holes in the cap as well as the pipe very near the
bottom for drainage.  To keep them from falling over, you can stand
several of them in other large pots.

It's been my experience that potting one of these horizontally doesn't
really accomplish anything.  Once in a while a dormant bud does start
to grow but it's really rather random.  The new corm that forms still
grows vertically and just pushes the entire plant out of the pot or
grows down through one of the drainage holes and tips the pot over.

Ron McHatton
Zone 9B Central Florida