Re: Dracunculus

  • Subject: Re: Dracunculus
  • From: Sheldon Hatheway <sfhatheway@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 22:36:38 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Anna,

Congratulations on your purchase.  Here in Canby, Oregon, USA, zone 7B I grow mine in the ground about 6" deep.  They've been in the ground for about 50 years, during which time they have been dug, divided, and moved four times.  My soil is sandy so even though it rains a lot during the winter and spring, I have had no problems with rot.  I keep them watered during the growing season and don't worry about them after that.  My wife mulches everything with leaves and grass clippings which is all the fertilizer they get.  At this time they are sporting large, bright orange infructescences which contain hundreds of individual berries, each containing 1-3 seeds.  The birds like to eat them when they are thoroughly ripe.  Mine only have a very mild odor (either that or my nose is shorting out) and the huge purple inflorescences are so beautiful!  I can hardly wait until next summer for them to bloom again.

Best of luck with yours.

Sheldon Hatheway
Canby OR USA