Re: Philodendron xanadu

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron xanadu
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 13:38:20 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Eric,

At this larger size, it is interesting that your plants still retain the small leaf blade typical of younger plants.  As the tissue cultured plants outgrow the chemical cocktails, the blades widen and the lateral lobes and the back lobes develop more fully.  The general size of the blades also increase by two or three times.   As far as blooming, it has been noticed that most male flowers shed very little pollen.  I do not know if the receptivity of the female flowers are affected by the tissue culture process, but, this is also a possibility.  I have not heard of any Philodendron xanadu hybrids from the tissue cultured plants.