blushing philodendron

  • Subject: blushing philodendron
  • From: REDRAGON40@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 10:23:15 EDT

Awhile back I received a lot of responses about my trying to rescue a cutting that was very distressed, but despite my best efforts, it didn't make it.  I would like to locate a plant to replace it.  I am not a botanist, so please excuse my clumsy description.  When I bought it back in the sixties, it was called a blushing philodendron.  Here are some of its characteristics:
standard heart shaped leaves a little smaller and narrower than those of common plants seen in garden stores
a grainy microbeaded upper surface that gives the leaves a sort of matte satin appearance
maroon undersurface
bronzy color of newer foliage and growing tips
relatively slow growing, especially compared to my "standard" philo, which is rampant.
I would really appreciate any feedback about this plant, especially whether it is available anywhere.  I'm not an aroid collector, this is just one of my top favorite plants and I would love to have one again.
Carol Ross
Aroid-L mailing list