Re: Alocasia of Thailand

  • Subject: Re: Alocasia of Thailand
  • From: Tony Avent <tony@plantdelights.com>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 09:29:01 -0400

Pete:

I thought it was botanists/taxonomists who like nice neat nomenclatural
packages.  These cultons sound instead like a botanical grab bag into
which all of the unsorted material is dumped.  If they are indeed
selections of A. odora, then they certainly need cultivar names with A.
odora as a species.  If, as Lari Ann suggests, they are cultivars which
cannot be assigned to a particular species, but are old hybrid groups or
species whose origins have been obscured, they still need a cultivar
name.  Newly selected clones from them would then also need cultivar
names.  This actually would make these fit much better into neat
nomenclatural packages.  We would then know which new cultivar came from
which old cultivar of say, A. macrorrhizos.  I tend to like the analysis
from plant breeders and can attest that outside of DNA, this is one of
the best ways to tell what is related to what.  That being said, has
anyone done DNA analysis on this group?

--
Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @